Can I Get A Hell Yeppers?!

I just saw one of this rapper guy Lil Wayne’s music videos last night from my affordable android tablet.

Really, can anyone release a rap video without half-naked bimbos gyrating at the background? Takes a special kind of douche bag to think it will garner smart reactions. Oh, like they care. Some people are just major league hilarious.

Okay, maybe I’m overreacting. After all there are a lot of great rappers out there who are good enough to fall under the category “artist.” This is not an attack to rappers or rap music per se, but to anyone who displays any form of disrespect to us ladies (as opposed to what you’re probably picturing inside your heads right now, I don’t have the song Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys playing in the background as I write this).

I mean, I’m just… it’s just…
In case some pricks haven’t realized, we girls deserve all the respect in the world. Yes, I intend to make the grand ‘ol lady of soul, Ms. Aretha Franklin, smile on that: R-E-S-P-E-C-T! There, I said it.

Suddenly, all those music videos with lewd themes came to mind. I was close to starting my list of the lewdest, nonsensical music videos when I realized that will only do them a favor. Instead, let me present to you some of the best rap artists I know (and came to know just for this blog post). I am not particularly high on this genre but these musicians shine for the simple reason that they actually make sense, in form and/or substance.

Tupac Shakur



This gangster spoke to the people. What he offered was that raw gangster soul, which is so removed from today’s rappers. Too bad he had to leave early.

LL Cool J

 I just learned his name stands for Ladies Love Cool James – can’t object. I think he’s a true gentleman. Lemme year ya if you think otherwise.

Run DMC


 Run DMC is one of only two rap acts to ever get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (the other being Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five). Much respect.

The Roots



Talk about acts that transcend genres, The Roots features a band setup and brilliantly infuses the ever eclectic mix of jazz and hip hop. Ever seen the equally brilliant promotional video for UFC 167? That’s a glimpse right there.

Wyclef Jean




Wyclef uses his musical genius to help people, and that’s what I like most about him. He has collaborated with a ton of other artists outside of hip hop, and that only shows how much respect people in the industry have for him.

Honorable mentions: Mos Def, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys

Image Credits: flickr, wikimedia

2 comments:

  1. I love all of these rappers!!! Great post and great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Twitter Updates